I celebrated the new year in Hoboken, New Jersey with my boyfriend and some good friends, eating a delicious meal at Amanda’s and counting down the seconds to midnight wearing a ridiculous hat and having an obnoxious noisemaker blown into my ear. Originally I had planned to return this past Sunday but seeing how I had a week off between my old job and new, I decided to spend more time up north. I got to see my best friend Jessica in Manhattan for coffee, cook dinners for my boyfriend while he was at work and craft a long term editorial schedule for the blog. This must be what it’s like to be a New Jersey housewife (minus the table flipping and cursing).
- This article in the New York Times discusses bone broth becoming a trendy health food, especially with the paleo crowd. They mention seolleongtang which is a Korean bone broth soup that I grew up eating. At cold noodle restaurants in Korea you can get a cup of bone broth from a large carafe as the beverage that goes along with your bowl of spicy cold noodles.
- Style Weekly, a publication in Richmond, Virginia named the 2014 Richmonders of the Year as the food and drink pioneers of the city. Often these entrepreneurs have opened up businesses in neighborhoods ready for renewal. They’re credited for the revival of Church Hill, my favorite neighborhood in Richmond. I plan to visit Richmond in February and I have a pretty ambitious agenda for visiting many unexplored eateries.
- A new year calls for restaurant openings. Here is a list of 9 restaurant openings happening in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia area) this year. I’m especially excited about the opening of Yona, a noodle shop that will be opening in my neighborhood. Mike Isabella is a partner of this shop and he’s opening two other restaurants in the Ballston, Arlington area that I live in: Kapnos Taverna (around the corner!) and Pepita. Walking a few blocks to good food is a pretty exciting prospect for me!
- Before I start indulging at these new restaurants I need to consider hopping on the healthy eating bandwagon that starts creaking along in January. My brother gave me a vegetable spiralizer for Christmas so I think the first thing I’ll be making with it will be Healthy Zucchini Noodles Chow Mein with Pork.
- I want to pack this Sweet Potato and Green Rice Burrito Bowl for lunch every single day. It looks so satisfying and healthy.
- Or maybe I’ll just make Black Sesame and Ginger Chicken Noodle Salad because any time I read black sesame in a recipe title my mind can’t think about anything else.
- One of my New Year’s resolutions is to organize my apartment better, especially my kitchen. Here are 29 things you can do right know to get your kitchen organized.